Thursday, April 3, 2014

Trying to finish "Marisol"

So, this is me reading the last 10-15 pages of Marisol in public (restaurant): read a few lines, eyes start to tear up, read of few more, tears run down my face and I need to stop and wipe them off and blow my nose.  Wait a few moments.  Read a few more lines, eyes tear up, tears roll down my face, need to wipe my eyes.  Oh, and I totally stopped breathing.  It's not even so much that it's sad, it's moving.  It's powerful.  It's full of beautiful and broken humanity.  Still have a paragraph in the last page I haven't finished, read around it, knew I was going to just lose it if I tried.  It made me think of eating painfully spicy food: you think you should stop, but you want to experience it so you keep eating it even though your gums, lips, and tongue are on fire.  I was thinking of that analogy while reading/crying.

Interesting conversation I briefly eavesdropped on while walking to lunch: two young dudes, one carrying a skateboard.  One says to the other, "so I found God during break."  He starts to explain, I walk away, go wait at the crosswalk.  As the light changes to "go" they are behind me and the one says he would give up everything to defend the light against the darkness which is coming soon.  Everything. (Read into that what you will.)  So, Marisol is in part, the story of a battle between angels in heaven to restore the universe, because everything is falling apart. (It is an awful lot like Dogma.)  And the characters have encounters with their guardian angels telling them they are leaving us humans alone to fend for ourselves against the human-generated depravity rampant on the streets, so they can go fight in this war.  No one is safe.  The angels go off to battle, and we humans are left to our own devices.  (In the end, all the broken humans decide to fight on the side of the rebel angels.)  It was just a weird synchronicity.

Later, choir runs late.  Music is challenging (and high.)  Voice pretty shot, and I'm exhausted and shaky.  I need to cook, but I can't stand being home.  Need to work something out.  Get home and there are 5 pages of move-out instructions.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment