Monday, May 20, 2013

Figured out what bothered me

So, while battling it out with a black-raspberry bush I was trying to extract earlier tonight, I figured out why the performance bothered me so much. The middle section reminded me of Less Than Zero, which I've written about somewhere else, and which I've changed my mind about: I now wish I hadn't seen it. Anyway, toward the end, the Robert Downey, Jr. character is trying really hard to quit, but he owes his dealer a lot of money, so these guys are following him around trying to make him prostitute himself to pay off the debt and also pretty much forcing the drugs on him. It's a very creepy predator/prey relationship.  And the middle section of the performance reminded me of that. There was assault, but also the pushing of drugs on one another, sometimes seemingly against the pushed on's will. And that really creeps me out: I almost feel like the pushing of the drugs was a worse assault than the physical. Also, when the assault(s) happen, the other characters egg it on.  (It's a dim view of the worst of humanity.) And again I've written before that it reminds me of people I used to know, and when they suddenly started doing hard drugs. I feel a huge sense of loss and general icky-ness (for lack of a better term) with that.

Have to listen to something hopeful-Jason Mraz to counteract the nihilism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMaIBLusSAc

(When I listen to this song, I feel inexplicably super happy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment