Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Favorite Theatre/Performance of 2013

Well, my number 1 isn't my favorite for the year, but all the rest are.  This is basically performance (not including straight up dance or music, more theatrical in nature) that got under my skin, grabbed me by the collar and held my attention.  I saw a lot of work this year (not as much theatre as was warranted), most of it admirable, but these are my top five for their affect on me, and for the perceived level of commitment by the artists involved.

5.  Trouble In Mind at the Intiman's Summer Rep Festival.  A view into systemic racism, hypocrisy, and also humanity, in this show, in regard to the theatre, but this could be anywhere.  Flawless, as well as showing (along with the farce, We Won't Pay, We Won't Pay! the previous night) the dynamic range of the actors.  I think it was the best overall performed scripted show I saw this year.

4.  Northwest New Works at On the Boards, June 2013.  In particular, The Satori Group and Josh Martin.  The Satori Group's work was a beautiful journey into an afterworld and I'm a sucker for a narrative arc; looking forward to where this goes.  Josh Martin - who knew the human body could move like that?  Sure, I've seen dancers do some of this minuscule movement before, but not like this, and not sustained.  Just cool.

3.  The Seattle Rep's The Hound of the Baskervilles is my other favorite (scripted) show of the year.  I felt like everyone was at the top of their game on this across the board.  In the performance I saw, one actor briefly broke, and it only served to point out to me how seamless the show was.  Wonderful (and fun) theatre.  I wasn't sure what to expect and it blew me out of the water.  Pretty much the definition of perfect.

2.  Splinter Group's The Salesman is Dead and Gone (at the Richard Hugo House.)  Hands down, my favorite show of the year.  I believe in the show, and by extension, in creator of it.  The show I would most recommend for it's beauty, imagination, commitment, and flawless execution.  Restored my faith in something.

1.  St. Genet's Paradisaical Rites (On the Boards) for punching me in the face with violence, and spectacle and yes, at times beauty, and then holding my attention for days, no weeks, after the fact while I obsessively read everything I could find in relation to the performance.  You know, with all the others on this list, I would heartily recommend them, this one, I can't really, only with caveats.  I wasn't going to include it, much less make it #1, but then I thought if my criteria was that art should affect you, and also the level of commitment by the artist involved, this one wins in spades.  I can't say I loved it as a whole (the nihilism), however, it was flawless.  And I still contend that it was a shamanic journey, definite narrative arc here, which I applaud.  I surprised even myself choosing this as my #1 for the year.

Looking forward to seeing and hopefully, making art in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment