Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday

Finally got around to watching the movie version of "Frankie and Johnny," I like the play better, but at least he kept in most of the dialogue.  (Playwright wrote the screenplay as well.)  And it's interesting how he changed when various parts of dialogue were said, but spacing it out over so much time takes out the immediacy of it (the play takes place on one night, in the movie over weeks, it seems, more realistic, but not as urgent.  But you know, doing well by the "show don't tell" edict.)  And I like how Michelle Pfeiffer plays Frankie, the bravado, the aching loneliness, unhappiness, the fear.  How you can want something right now, but not the next step, up against the everything right now of Johnny who let things go before and doesn't want to anymore.  It's different enough from the stage play that it doesn't really affect how I think about the script (for performance/monologue purposes.) In general, I don't like to watch the screen adaptations of plays.  I need to get ahold of a script again (only one in the whole library system) I'll probably have to buy it.

Advice for the day (to me), "Stop saying yes to what you don't want to do." (The only one keeping you trapped is you...just writing it down so I can remember it.  It's actually for Aquarius, but I need to be reminded of it, and it's my rising sign...talk about conflicted.  It matters because I have a sense of responsibility on steroids, and say 'yes' to everything to the point where I'll spend all of my energy on everyone else except for me.  Not healthy.)

Need to go renew my driver's license.  Times like these I wish I wore make-up, my skin is splotchy, and I want a new picture because my old one is awful.  The offices downtown don't have any mirrors, you pretty much walk in and they say, "Stand over there and smile."  No time to prepare yourself to look halfway decent.  (I kinda' like the picture on my bus pass.  The first one was horrible, but they let me take a second.)  Sometimes I think I might look better in the DL pic if I tried to look worse.  Last time I renewed my passport I retook the pictures several times...you have to live with that one for ten years, at least the driver's license is only four.

Two days left to get all of this cleaning done, or at least make a dent in it.  I like to start the new year with a clean slate, part of that is space.  Maybe I'll start with the records.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment