Saturday, December 14, 2013

Saturday

Woke up feeling like I'd been hit by a truck.  It's not the flu, did something I eat get contaminated with potatoes?  Did I do something I don't remember?  I hope so.  I don't want this to be a permanent change (it always could be.)  I have to get up to go buy cranberries to make sauce for the Finnish Christmas party/concert later today.  And I don't feel like moving.

Running out of that to try to get to the Theatre Anonymous show of "It's a Wonderful Life."  No, I'm not in it.  It's the one I'd wanted to audition for (you were to send in a resume/headshot and no one would know who was in the show except the director, you'd meet one-on-one with the director and then on the night of the show, tonight, you sit in the audience and say your first line from there and then go up on stage.  I didn't have a headshot, and I really shoulda' just had someone take a picture...oh, well.)  Anyway, I'm hoping they hold my ticket, I won't even be in the neighborhood until 10 minutes before the show starts, probably still wearing my Finnish dress.  Apparently, I know someone in the show, someone from the school I take classes at (because they are the only people who have that email address.)  There are at least three versions of "It's a Wonderful Life" going on this weekend, this one, one at Town Hall, and an improv version in the U-District.  I'm excited to see the show, and curious to see who I know in it, I think I know, but I could be wrong.

Went to an art installation last night, it was in a shell of a building in Belltown, that felt like a warehouse, dark and cold.  I thought I'd check it out for half hour but ended up wandering around for two.  It was called "hydrOsphere" by interstitial theatre, was loosely based around the theme of water.  I think there were thirteen installations.  My favorite two were Vrstva (Amy Popova and Rashelle McKee) a live movement/dance piece, where they moved very slowly in response to each other and throughout the space; and Sandbox of Life (Casey Scalf, Sensebellum) which involved a sandbox of white sand and a camera/computer/feedback/light above it creating these moving light patterns, that kinda' reminded be of a virus.  If you blocked the light by waving your hand over the sand, the light pattern would repopulate the bare sand in a crawling kinda' way.  It was fun to play with, and I like the repurposing of technology (it used a Microsoft Kinect.)

There was also this sound installation called "Space weather listening booth" by Nat Evans and John Teske.  It was down a staircase lit only by tea lights in a dark parking garage.   A voice in my head said, "No! Don't go down into the dark parking garage!"  But I didn't listen to it. There were some tea lights on the floor there as well, and a carpet with pillows.  It took a while for my eyes to adjust, but I realized no one was lurking in the dark corners (it's not a haunted house, afterall).  Several people came in after me, I think someone laid down on the carpet, but it was hard to tell.  I like the idea of it.  I want to work more with sound installations.  The building was really cold, I think it was actually warmer outside.  I can't imagine how cold it was last week in there.  Was gonna try to get to an opening in Greenwood, but just wandered around Westlake for a while, singing along to the piped in Christmas carols (Feliz Navidad, and the Mariah Carey song.)  On the way home, the man sitting next to me kept falling asleep on my shoulder.  I don't mind that much, but he was really heavy. (I think the woman on his other side was leaning on him as well, so I was probably feeling the weight of both.)

Maybe hot water would help.  I was gonna post a picture but all of the editing programs keep crashing.  Happy Saturday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment