Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sunday, walking home

Walking up the hill on my way home after stopping to watch the last quarter of the Seahawks game, I see flashing lights from 3 blocks down, see traffic being diverted, realize it's in front of my house and start running the last couple of blocks.  Cops everywhere.  There's a crash in our yard again (at least third one in recent memory.)  Apparently, someone rammed a cop, cop car in the yard, had to be towed sideways to get off of the sidewalk, other car much more totalled, front end smashed to the tires.  No ambulances, but I don't know how long ago it happened.  Outside my window I can hear the constant whistle of traffic being re-routed around.  Lucky that they didn't knock over the power pole.  No one seemed particularly tense as I made my way through the scene (which I had to do to get to the door), so hopefully, no major injuries.

Anything else I was going to write about now seems trivial.  Spent the day at the Frye, looking at the Franz von Stuck exhibit, not sure how I feel about it.  After viewing it once, there was a guided tour announced, so I went back through.  They encourage audience participation, so it was interesting to get what other people saw in it.  He was influenced by Freud, Darwin and Nietzsche and used a lot of symbolism: from mythology, fantasy, and the Bible.  The wall tags comment that Darwin's influence was in the paintings of the men fighting over the woman...and I'm curious about his views of women.  While his wife, Mary, might have been a co-creator and sometimes a muse, women seem to wield a strange power, and men the helpless fools.  In a depiction of Adam and Ev(a), Adam is depicted in the classical Greek form, while Eva is a sensuous seductress, with the snake entwined around her and offering up the apple in it's mouth to Adam.  As if they are co-conspirators to corrupt man (Adam.)  That motif with woman/snake appears elsewhere in his work. Maybe it's Freudian.

The cops stayed long after the cars were cleared.  I heard shouting and went up to see what was going on, and then my roommate's brother was knocking on the door, so I let him in and we tried to figure out what was going on. (He was hoping their car had been hit, so he could total it, no such luck.  Actually, there's very little damage to the wall, and not much debris in the street.)

Earlier today I found out a woman I knew from when she was a kid, and also more recently from a theatre class, had just walked the Camino this past autumn.  She walked from St. Jean to Finisterre.  Neither one of us made it to Muxia.  The Virgen de la Barca church (it's at the end of the movie, The Way) was struck by lightening on Christmas and burned down.  At the time I was there I didn't feel like walking the last 33 kms to get there and figured it would always be there and I could come back...it's nice when there are second chances, but if there's something you've been dreaming of doing, you know, I hate to quote Nike, but "Just do it."  We live from day to day, who knows if there will be a tomorrow?  Second chances are certainly a gift, but you don't always get them.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment