Sunday, September 8, 2013

Over now

My life changed, and tomorrow will be just like any other day: get up early, try to get to work early....I can't believe it's over. I thanked the director for pushing me off of a ledge; between the kissing, the stripping (where the audience laughter hit at the same point every night), and the (attempt) at seduction, it was a nice "hello" to the world of acting, not to mention shattering my comfort zone. And thank you also to the person who said that it was brave. I did need to hear that. It's been a fun summer.

I had a pretty embarrassing clown moment yesterday. I was bringing my big travel bag to the theatre so that I could put in all of my clothes after the show tonight in it. I didn't want to carry it today because I needed to carry two large bouquets of flowers. I thought I had checked it's contents earlier. I felt a side pocket as the bus was getting close to my stop downtown. I couldn't figure out what might be in the pocket, was hoping it wasn't food, so I pulled it out. (I was sitting near the window, a woman was sitting next to me.) Whatever it was, was in a clear plastic bag, like the kind you would use for produce. I still couldn't tell, so I reached into the bag and started to pull at the contents. It turned out to be a pair of underwear. Lord only knows how long those have been there (I can't remember last time I used that bag to go anywhere besides class, and they are not from class, I don't think.) I don't know if the woman sitting next to me saw, but it was on my left side, so between us. I quickly shoved them back into the pocket, and pulled the cord to get off of the bus, since I was at my stop by that point. Geez! I've been carrying those around for a while. It's time to do laundry.

I'll say "good night" with this quote from David Mamet: "We would all like to be part of, to create that theatre which we could participate in with pride, on which we could reflect with pride. To do so one must buy a ticket. The price of admission is choice. Choice to participate in the low, the uncertain, the unproved, the unheralded, to bring the truth of yourself to the stage, not the groomed, sure, "Talented," approved person you are portraying; not the researched, corseted, paint-by-numbers presentation without flaws; not the Great Actor; but yourself, as uncertain, as unprepared, as confused as any of us are."

No comments:

Post a Comment