Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 2

Or I could make a bunch of characters up that speak at different pitches until I find a pitch I like that is closer to my natural resonance. We have so much wrapped up in the identities we've created.

We finally got to see pictures from the rehearsal. I look a bit crazy in most of mine, my eyes are really wide open. There are a lot of a couple of the scenes and not much of the rest of us. (And admittedly, in the scene with the most of photos, they look great.)  Only one of the prologue/epilogue.

The only Meisner exercise I had heard of before is the "chair" exercise. We started that tonight. Doing it for a half hour is going to be a struggle, though I suspect that's part of the point, to break through that (like meditation.) I think the other part is to really listen to your partner and respond instinctively, letting go of: 1) hiding behaviors (that term did come from theatre); 2) ego; and 3) the intellect having control. It's not the intellect that gives the first thoughts or responds in the moment. Stripping the house down to the studs. And then rebuilding it.

I really am a newbie, about half the class seems to be actively working on shows now. Haven't decided if I will try for the winter cattle call auditions or not. I might, it would be a good learning experience. I know very little about auditioning, and I don't have headshots. But that's four months away. Time does go by quickly, I'll have to start working on monologues and reading now. Should be always doing that anyway.

Oh, I was going to comment that there is an absurdity to repeating the same word or two words over and over and over again: they lose all meaning and start to sound really strange coming out of your mouth. My first partner and I kept busting up laughing, which was fine, because it was a real reaction in the moment. And then she did the same word on the next round which made it even funnier. But we stayed connected and repeating the word even when we were laughing through the whole thing. I'm sure all emotions come up with this.

'Night.

All the ibuprofen has made my stomach hurt. Really hurt. I probably need to stop:(

No comments:

Post a Comment