Monday, September 23, 2013

Tired

Been in need of a nap since 9 am. Going to finally take one now; missed choir rehearsal, but got most of my reading done this afternoon.

My doctor, who only gets to say this to me because she's been my doctor for a while and is also a singer, said that I need to start speaking at a higher pitch. She's right of course. How do I begin to do that? I don't want to do it, though it would be better for my throat. In a voice class I took last autumn, my natural resonance was at a higher pitch than how I regularly speak. I know I lowered my pitch in my late teens or early twenties because I wanted to be taken more seriously. I'm not a large person, and I'm female and I was living in a very male-dominated universe, and had always been mocked for looking young and being "girly," (ironically, mostly by girls.) So, there is a lot wrapped up in it. The thing is though, my natural singing pitch is "C" and above (on the treble clef.) It actually is pretty uncomfortable to sing alto. I think my speaking voice is around an "F" or a "G." That's not particularly uncomfortable, but not my natural tone. It would be easier to move away and change it, everyone I know is used to this pitch. I'll have to do it gradually. She suggested I practice the pitch change through singing the words. Maybe I could make my clown speak there until I get used to it? I probably need to go see someone, a speech therapist or a vocal coach. I'm really self-conscious about it. It's physically healthier in the long run, and probably emotionally healthier as well, but emotionally and physically difficult to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment