Saturday, January 4, 2014

Saturday

Decided to check out the new(ish) neighborhood park this morning.  Walked through with my camera but the light was wrong and I was cold so went to get some coffee and to finish reading the Esper book.  When I find an empty seat, the man across asks about my camera and if I love it.  Somehow the conversation gets to his idea that the world is here for him (and by extension, everyone else) to learn and grow from our interactions and experiences within it.  I commented how this was different from narcissism where one would believe that you are the center of the world and it is here to serve you alone.  The first being more egalitarian and compassionate.  It was a cool conversation, but really short, and we both got back to what we were doing: me, reading; he, writing.  Hello, Saturday morning!

Later I went back to the park and walked this circular track.  At the far end there is an overlook to the east.  It's high enough, and the day clear and bright enough that you could see the entire Cascade Range and all the foothills. You could see the lake and both bridges crossing it.  Ridiculous.  This area had been closed to the public for years.  Very cool.

Went to the library to drop off the Esper book and pick up an Estonian movie.  On the way back home, stopped by an art gallery that I hadn't been to in a while, and found out that the artist had died last February.  There was a room dedicated to his life.  Yesterday, I learned that a friend was in a coma in the hospital after suffering a severe asthma attack, and while I prayed for her, and sent good thoughts her way, I couldn't feel anything.  Standing in this room, I started crying for someone I'd only ever met twice in my life.  I don't know why.  The first time I met him, I cried when I walked away.  He was doing a book signing at an exhibit and I was wandering around on a break and came across him and decided to stand in line and meet him.  When I think about it now, the word that springs to mind is "delight."  There was a childlike quality in him, he was very present and exuded unconditional love.  But I felt a delight in him when he met me, and I guess I was lacking that in my life, so it really touched me. (He was also a Zen priest.)  My only other encounter with him was several years later and more mundane.

I had plans to visit the friend this morning, but she was transferred to a different hospital, and I had trouble figuring out how to meet up with my ride there.  Hopefully later on in the week.  I did find out that the coma was induced because she was placed on a ventilator.  She's young.  She's supposed to get married this month, and she seemed really happy with her life last time I saw her.

Again, don't wait.  We only have now.
For Sale, Jan 4/L Herlevi 2014

Side of Building, Jan 4/L Herlevi 2014

Better than words, Jan 4/L Herlevi 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment