Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday-not enough hours to do everything

Spent lunch reading the Part 1 of "Angels in America" by Tony Kushner...powerful, beautiful, horrifically sad.  (I've read it before, and seen Part 2.)  Publicly trying not to sob into my lunch while unsuccessfully stabbing at my pasta with a fork whose inner tines had melted outward in such a way as to make the fork unusable...at least let it be known: they dissolve.  Not really accomplishing either task.  No picture yet, either.

I don't know if I can use anything from this...it's so good, though.  In some ways, it's my chance to play these parts, since I'm probably too old to be cast in them (Catherine in "Proof," Harper in "Angels.")  I've heard that men will sometimes play a female for a monologue, and I've read that if you can own it, to go ahead and do it.  And again, both of these contrast with the other play I'm using.  (I'll try to read more, but have all the class work to do on top of this.)

Now onto Part II...or Albee.  Feel like I'm working two full-time jobs (my day job and Meisner), and three part-time jobs (volunteering-just been a lot over the past week, getting ready for auditions, and singing.)  Anyway, something's gotta' give: I'm exhausted, and need to sleep and eat and barely have time to get anything done well, or even enough.  Just got back from a forum on directing, not essential that I go, but wanted the point of view of a director on a show (as an actor.)  Also, will probably have to go to grad school (if I can go) for directing, I'm gonna look around, but apparently, there is a fair amount of ageism (unspoken, unadmitted) based on most great roles are written for younger women.  (To which I say, we should start writing plays with good roles for older women in them.)  It is what it is, and I am who I am...will have to find a way to make it work given those circumstances.

No picture today.  The camera strap broke and I needed to read scripts, so that got my free time.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment