Sunday, January 19, 2014

Singing task

Practicing singing in an upper octave, I have an emotional block, I think.  It is my singing range, but when I sing for other people I sing in the lower octave...I guess if I sing in the lower range, I'm not making myself vulnerable for you to judge me.  That's the best explanation I can come up with.  When I sing with other people, in choral settings, I sing in the upper range...just really emotionally difficult to do it solo.  (Obviously, I can physically do it.)  It's funny, I keep getting asked to sing second, but we're so short on sopranos in the one choir now, that I switched between first and second today, the other two women both have stronger voices than I do, and so I figured I could support where it was needed when we split.  Someone I didn't know stopped me to compliment the overall song/singing.  It was "A Prayer for Peace" by Michael John Trotta (based on the St. Francis prayer) in honor of Dr. King.  I'm back to singing first again in the folk choir.  (Singing second is good for my brain, the parts are harder to find for me.)

Anyway, it went okay.  I found some middle range, and my voice was quavery from nerves.  Everyone stood in a semi-circle and you went up in front of the group and people cheered you and could sing along if they knew it or in general show support, as long as they didn't drown you out.  I think it was for accessing the vulnerability, the openness, it's harder to hide when you are singing.  We didn't even get to the $100,000,000 exercise nor to all of the groups, and we still ran late.  My emotional task went better than I thought.  I did make it specific, although I didn't actually know who it was about until right before I walked in.  The emotion was triumph, but only one person came to mind who could share in that in the end, the other people I thought of using would have muddied the waters emotionally, not that you can't play it, but it's harder.  Anyway, task was to write to this person in iambic pentameter, 14 lines, a thank you.  (Remarkably hard to do when I got right to it.)

No picture.  I'll do two tomorrow.  It's late, I'm tired and had to take a shower because I ran into the bathroom barefoot during a break as there wasn't enough time to find my shoes.

Oh, and I misunderstood where to look for monologues, so I have to start that process all over again.  On the bright side, brainstormed new ideas for acquiring head shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment