Saturday, July 6, 2013

Selling books on a Saturday morning

Working up the will to go sell books. Need a certain amount of internal fortitude for the rejection, the snooty-ness of "I can't believe you think we would possibly want to buy that from you." It's worse with clothing, the disdain of what bad taste I must have. I do it sometimes, but more often, give clothes to Goodwill or some other charitable organization. Some bookstores are more willing to accept than others, but you usually sell to those by the box load, and that would require a car and an appointment.  I will do it. I need groceries. I want to go to the Farmer's Market and these are the last two Saturdays I'm free for the summer. The Saturday market is my favorite, I've been buying my food there for almost 20 years. I've been here a long time. I was graduated from college 20 years ago. Crazy.

Okay, sold books for $13, which did buy some produce, and I had an old gift card with enough left on it to get some coffee. The buyer was super nice, he didn't buy all of them (I ended up finding more books I was willing to part with, will have to do it again, but it's a start), but I think I can sell a few more to a different store. When I was picking through the cherries, I looked up and started laughing, realizing that I was surrounded by people who were as picky about fruit as I am. We were all picking up individual cherries and looking at them before tossing them in the bag. I know I won't eat it if it's really bad looking, even if I should, and I don't want to pay for it if I'm just gonna throw it out. Anyway, I have a little less stuff now, and I thought about more clothes that I am willing to part with, will do that today as well, before I change my mind. Clothes are the easiest thing for me to let go of.  But first, promised myself I would work on the resume for an hour. Gonna do that now. Let go, let go, let go.

Okay, resume draft done. Sent off to have instructor look at it, and waiting to hear back from sister regarding spoken word performance info.

No comments:

Post a Comment