Friday, July 19, 2013

Moment three

Walking home across the park, toward the lowering sun, light illuminating columns of flying insects, feet crunching through dry leaves, air smelling of wood smoke, it occurred to me that this is the closest I'll get to camping this year.  An enjoyable moment, none-the-less.

This will be three, I think. It's not one particular moment, it's that I've been meeting a lot of doppelgangers lately, you know, dead ringers for people I know. I'll start talking with them thinking that I know them, and they'll talk to me as if they know me and then mid-way through the conversation I'll realize they are not who I thought they were, but don't admit it. And they are possibly being polite, possibly too embarrassed to admit that they might have met me but have forgotten my name. And so in this manner we carry on. It's weird because the conversation will usually be something personal. I think it's a fear of being perceived as rude, or trying to save face that keeps either of us from admitting that we've never actually met before.  It's awkward, yet amusing.

Sorry, I'm not feeling much clarity today. I am on vacation for the next nine days, from work that is, this is the first of the 22-hour school weeks, and I need to catch up on more life stuff. It's been about a year since I've taken a week off. Went and watered the garden earlier tonight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might actually get tomatoes this year. I never do. Been trying for years. They either have been undernourished, or the weather's been too cool, or the rats bit into them first, or they got late blight. They are doing well right now. (Hopefully, I don't lose the garden for it's over weediness this summer.) Fingers crossed on that one, too.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is on the radio. I still see my friends from college performing it when I read or hear it, in spite of the fact that I've seen it so many times since. Makes me smile (though not my favorite Shakespeare play, probably because I've seen it so much. And it's really long.)

No comments:

Post a Comment