Monday, July 29, 2013

Bitten

Was trying to weed to throw stuff into the yard-waste pick-up and unfortunately discovered a yellow jacket nest.  Or perhaps I should say, they discovered me. Pissed off (them, not me.) I got bit once or twice; the one that I slapped left a blood mark and swelling. Unbelievable how much it hurts. I don't even know how to describe it, intense stinging perhaps? Waiting for the nurse to call me back about what I should do. I've never been bitten by one before. I once had a wasp crawl up my pant leg and sting me, but that was the last time. I was maybe 10.  I'm trying to keep an ice pack on it. I'm paranoid that I'm going to have an allergic reaction so I imagine my tongue is swelling. I hope it's just my imagination. I'm not actually allergic to anything (well, there are foods that freak out my immune system, but not in a life-threatening kinda way.)

Okay, nurse called back. I feel kinda sick, but I think that's because I need to eat something. I'm waiting for the baking soda to neutralize the venom first, she said 20 minutes...I'm typing with just one hand, the bite(s) are in the crook of my left elbow. I'm just gonna keep singing myself now, listen for raspiness. I'm still paying off those earlier ER visits, I don't want to go. I don't even think anyone's home.  I should probably put a warning sign up.  The nest is in the ground, under a brick. Later.

On the bright side, gives my immune system something else to do. Been over three hours and I can still swallow, so I guess I can try to sleep. Nothing I've done has deadened the pain, but the swelling has gone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment