Thursday, August 29, 2013

Thursday, just one more rehearsal

Falling rain and yellow leaves. It's as if a switch flipped and suddenly I see arms of red and yellow among the mostly green trees. The bus swirls the leaves slowly as it passes by, raking them into neat lines of brown and gold. It was almost 70 degrees and 91% humidity when I woke up around 5 am. It's been humid a lot this summer, in spite of very little rain. What, are we becoming sub-tropical? Maybe we can start growing bananas...There's a sprinkler running and it just started to pour. I opened my window because I like the sound.  It's so quiet today, that's the only sound I hear.

We get so few notes after each run-thru that I asked the director if he's tired by the time we do our scene (the earlier scenes seem to get the most notes.) He said he only gives notes he thinks are necessary. I wasn't trying to be an ass, but I need some feedback. I don't want to suck, and I've had a couple experiences with other instructors where there was so little feedback (okay, one of them gave me zilch), and I knew we needed it...I don't want to be so bad that there's nothing they can say to improve it. I don't think he does that, but I want the feedback if it's needed (or even to just hear that it's good), I want to get better. I have no idea what the scene looks like. I asked if we could run our last half on Saturday (which we will do, that was one of our notes), we need to go bigger with it. It's a long scene, I don't want to be dead weight when she is talking. And I'd like it to be more than, "oh, those two chicks just kissed on stage." We do now, however, have the overlapping dialogue working. So, yea! to that. (All of this is my own insecurities, of course. Maybe I'll ask the stage manager, she can see from the front-if I seem like dead weight, everyone else is behind us. But, you know, it's helpful to hear if you are doing good, too. I can't base my progress on the subjective idea of how I feel.) The last three scenes in the second act just haven't been worked much, and we all have fewer notes than the first act scenes, which have been worked at almost every rehearsal since we started. I know that he knows what he's doing, but most of us have not worked on a full show before, so we don't always know what we're doing, and it is a class. (Someone else commented that they wanted more input as well, because it's a class, and we should be learning from it. Which is a fair observation: we did pay tuition. And since there will also be an audience, you want to give your best.) I don't mean to bitch, I just want to get the most out of the experience as possible.  I want to continue to improve; it's why I'm studying. And I don't know where I stand right now.

Darn! Someone just asked me my shoe size because they are cleaning out their closet...wrong size. (I could use new shoes.)

Ooh, forecast is for the possibility of 1-2" of rain today. Maybe it will put out the forest fires.

I found a second typo in my application (after re-sending for a different one.) I mentioned it to someone and she said no one would really care. (I forgot to include a verb.) This is very different from what you hear for job applications where your resume/letter would just get tossed for a typo (even if you were the best fit.)

It's now the type of rain that seems it should include some thunder.  It was sunny about 20 minutes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment