Thursday, October 3, 2013

About that missing bird

Oh, apparently robins flock together (for safety) and migrate. It seems strange for them to leave now, however, as there seems to be plenty of food, and the weather has been good. And I know we have some during the winter, though, maybe they migrate here from somewhere further north. One site I looked at mentioned that the migrational pattern of American Robins is a mystery. (And the ones that don't migrate, have first choice of breeding territory.)

Free item(s) today: chai (the real stuff, not from a bottle) crisp grapes, brownie bites.

Went to an audition panel after work. There were four panelists from theatres around town, mostly casting directors (ACT, Seattle Rep, Book-It, and Seattle Shakespeare Co.) They talked about the casting process, resumes, general things about auditions, how to choose work and prepare that for a general audition, among other things (it's okay to introduce yourself, let them know what you are doing; they are on your side even if you don't get cast, etc.) Really helpful. So on that input, I am going to sign up for the TPS auditions, even if I only get to the pre-auditions. So, need to start saving up for head-shots (about $285.) I guess that's actually not too bad, camera actors have to get them a lot more often than stage actors, you have to actually look like the picture when you go out for auditions/jobs. (Some stage actors look nothing at all like their head shots; they are refreshingly less intimidating in person.)  Also, need to start reading a lot more plays. And I don't think I'll do a classical monologue. On the way home, I also decided I need to start doing the physical training again: my center of gravity has creeped up toward my chest again, and I feel like I have an aversion to my feet fully contacting the ground. I've been making a lot of excuses, time for that to stop.

I'd been looking for a group of people to work with, and now (fingers crossed) I have two: a clown group and a text group. Both of them only meet 1x/month, but it's something to stay in practice, to read more plays, work on monologues, work on physical impulses, and to stay in contact with people, build a community.

And lastly, the woman I sat next to had seen our show, she said she enjoyed it, enjoyed our scene, particularly the clothing removal (it was funny.) It was really nice to having someone I've never met before tell me that. It's good to know all the work is actually communicating to someone, even if it's just to make them laugh. I think it's why we do it, and it makes it more worthwhile to sacrifice (time, money, sanity) this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment