Saturday, October 5, 2013

Saturday

There is a massive sun-dog in the sky. The sky looks as if an artist were playing at thinly stretching cotton across canvas to see what came up, a mish-mash of shapes and directions, a precursor to rain.

Went to the "Searching for Bruce Lee" tour of the International District this morning. It was part of Arts Crush festival taking place around the region for the month of October. It was a walking tour of the International District to places with some relationship to Bruce Lee, and included a history of the neighborhood as well.  Along the way there were scenes acted out, written by local playwrights and performed by local actors. It ended at a dim sum place for some food. I randomly ended up at a table of one of the actor I knew's relatives. The whole thing made me want to know more about Bruce Lee: seemed like a really decent, thoughtful, cool guy.

I was planning on reading scripts after that, but stumbled upon a Taiwanese Independence Day celebration so hung out there until it was time to go to the other play. The other play was a staged reading (a remarkably wonderful staged reading) of "The Brick and the Rose" by Lewis John Carlino and performed by Arouet. It's basically about boy who is searching for meaning and whose life is cut short by heroin, which is pretty depressing, but it was so well-performed and the writing is poetic. That was also part of Arts Crush. After that, I wandered around through places I rarely go, looking in shops and at art for general inspiration, then coming closer and closer to the reality of city life and out of the dream world of art as I neared my bus stop, with its crowds and jostling and arguments. And now I'm home.

Was invited to both a birthday party and to attend the dance performance I worked at last night, but I feel like I'm fighting off a virus, so will probably stay home and do laundry and get everything ready for tomorrow, another really long day where I have to leave the house by 8 am and won't get home again until almost 11 pm. Thinking about it makes me want to take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment