Thursday, October 31, 2013

Crowds

As I make my way to work in the morning, there are an inordinate amount of birds flocking and diving through the skies, in front of traffic, through the trees, landing in clusters on the streets...I'd chalk it up to the wind, but it's not that windy. Or trash day...or they are just playing, more than usual though. Also, an army of grounds crew armed with leaf-blowers and lawn mowers out on the lawn...more than usual there as well.  A day of crowds.  At lunch, the birds are assertive, one gull with an injured foot jumps up and eats off a girl's proffered fork. Others swoop low over students' heads as they walk across the plaza.

Last night we rehearsed with another choir, in a much, much bigger space. It's fun, but you have to sing differently than we can get away with in our regular space; consonants get lost, so we really have to hit them.  And then the conductor wanted more open vowels so I was trying to re-learn the words, but it was also only the second time I'd seen this music, and then there are some difficult soprano descants in it which he said to bring out more, but I'm having trouble finding them, so I was lost.  I will need to get to a piano beforehand to pick out the part. We are also singing in "quartets" as opposed to sections, so I can't even rely on listening to another soprano, as I'm not standing near enough to any...Ha! everything I don't know is exposed.  At times I could hear my part off in the distance, but as someone else pointed out, it felt like being on an island. It's good to mix it up and I think it sounds good overall.  And singing with this conductor makes me seriously consider finding a voice teacher.  There are a things I would like to be able to do (nuance, dynamics, etc.) that I've been trouble getting to on my own, and now that I'm getting more comfortable with how my voice sounds, I might find it less intimidating  Also, a couple of my classmates are working with voice coaches and I'm inspired by that.

Seeing people in Halloween costumes makes me happy.  Curiously, the only people in our office that dressed up today were all IT staff.  I didn't dress up this year; feeling unoriginal.  Last time I dressed up was as someone from an 80's hair band. Today someone I work with said they didn't recognize me, but it's just 'cos I was wearing glasses.  (Not as a costume, just to see better.)

Bought candy on the way home, but only got one trick-or-treater, and I think it was my next door neighbor; I imagine everyone else might be afraid of us. Sat in the living room waiting, watching "Last Man on Earth" or something.  I thought it was about zombies, but I guess they were actually supposed to be vampires. Has an ambiguous ending, the woman who'd received immunity tells the temporary vaccinated vampires that everything is going to be all right, and walks out of the church where they'd just murdered the last man. I think the man was Vincent Price, I'll have to look it up.

Last night I was trying to do some writing while waiting for a classmate, and a man I kinda' know in passing was trying to ask me on a date, I think. He was progressively more and more drunk, I don't think he will remember.  It's not actually flattering if someone needs to be that drunk to talk to me, I kinda' will talk to anyone, you wouldn't need to be wasted, I'm not that scary. As I've mentioned before, I like talking to people...and I wonder if he would like me if he were sober, or if it's only the alcohol...again, just not flattering. (Kinda' leaves me feeling like I'm either repulsive or super intimidating...if you bothered to talk to me, you might decide I'm neither.)  Okay to be fair, maybe he actually wanted to talk to me before he got drunk...and then he kept calling me by my legal name and not the name I go by, which was also disrespectful.  I don't go by my legal name because I prefer not to; I find doing that presumptuous, never liked it when "adults" did it, I kinda' feel like it's someone taking the upper hand on you (to decide to call you by a name different than the one you introduced yourself as.)  I think at some point, we get to choose how we present ourselves to the world, including our names...and I think other people should generally honor that in us. It makes us equals.  Which is how it should be.

Melting/L.Herlevi 2008


No comments:

Post a Comment