Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday

Finally went to church again, after probably 3 months. Then there was a picnic and I went to that. It rained, but had some good conversations with people. It's funny, when I wasn't going (partially because I couldn't sing anymore and partially because I was tired and not getting up on time) I ran into people I know from there (even though some of them no longer go, but I met them there) all over the place (and it's a relatively small congregation) at a dance concert, at Folklife, walking down the street, and other places...I saw more of them than anyone else I know, and it made me realize how much our lives intersect. I'm Lutheran, for the record, since second grade. Have struggled much (an understatement, a hard won relationship) with what I believe but decided to stay, I still struggle with it. I seriously thought about converting to Catholicism because of some powerful spiritual experiences I had, and because I like the ritual of it, but in the end chose not to because of a very smug (Catholic) encounter followed by a very welcoming stance (and openness and the ability to ask questions and the kindness) from my own church, and so internally, I recommitted to mine. The most I can say about it is that I believe in a loving God, and try to follow the teachings/examples of Christ, not Paul, just the Gospels. (As a woman I have a hard time with Paul. And Christ accepted everybody. He was love in the flesh, which for me seems like a good direction to move toward in life.)

No comments:

Post a Comment