Saturday, June 8, 2013

Saturday, no singing robins

Really need to catch up on the rest of my life today, just not enough time for everything, even if I do say I value it all. Went to another play last night, got a ticket in exchange for watching the door and letting people in the building. It was a comedy, well done. A student production, great accents (multiple accents), great physicality and timing, and pretty fun in general. Unfortunately, I've been so exhausted lately that I fell asleep for parts of it (what else is new? been happening a lot lately) and so woke up thinking, "Wait, when did he get shot? Who is that woman, where did she come from and why are they hand-cuffed?" Still, well done, fast-paced, believable. The man next to me looked at me oddly at one point, I hope I didn't mumble anything or fall over on him. When I woke up this morning it occurred to me that part of my problem in my acting class is that we are not in rehearsal together enough, it really demands more time, and barring that (work schedules, finding rehearsal space, etc.) I need to know my own character inside and out when I get to rehearsal. Seems obvious, but I realized that in my rare longer speeches, I'm not seeing the scene I'm talking about, and I need to, and there are some other things I haven't gotten specific about. I'll have to think about them while doing other things because I'm meeting my scene partner in 5 hours and I need to go work on my garden and run a bunch of errands before that. The advantage of riding the bus is you don't have to think about driving, and so you can focus on other things. And pulling up weeds will hopefully clear my head.

I think I need to watch some old movies with witty dialogue and quick-paced verbal sparring. Katherine Hepburn comes to mind.

The play was The 39 Steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment